eHealth Africa (eHA) designs and implements data-driven solutions and technologies to improve health systems for and with local communities. eHA’s technology works in low connectivity settings, and smartly uses data to drive decision-making by local governments and partner agencies to get optimum results.
Summary: The Senior GIS Developer provides dedicated support to the eHealth Africa’s (eHA) GIS application development projects. S/he develops eHA’s Web GIS environment and builds web and mobile apps to support targeted workflows, projects and programs being supported by the GIS Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, the Senior GIS Developer will work under the supervision of the GIS Department Manager to perform the following responsibilities.
- Develop desktop, mobile and web GIS applications to support internal and external projects at eHealth Africa Support the development of web services and data portals at eHealth Africa
- Liaise with internal and external clients to perform proper requirement gathering
- Collaborate with eHealth Africa’s Software development team to ensure adequate support for all GIS development needs
- Contribute to the development of OpenSource GIS applications, tools and capabilities at eHealth Africa
- Maintain a collegial, collaborative and accessible working style
- Perform any other duties assigned by management
- May frequently travel between company worksites
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations.
- May frequently travel between company work-sites. Some international travel may be required.
- Present a professional demeanor at all times. Approaches others in a tactful manner. Reacts well under pressure. Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Accepts responsibility for own actions. Responds well to supervisor requests and feedback.
- Be consistently at work and on time.
- Participate in and promote a positive, supportive, cooperative team environment.
- Adhere to Policies and Procedures.
- Adhere to eHealth Africa Code of Conduct as well as ethical standards of the field.
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to successfully perform this job.
- Master’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Geographic Information Systems, Surveying and Geoinformatics, Geography or other related field
- Minimum of 4 years GIS development / software engineering experience
- Experience in developing web and mobile GIS applications using open source GIS solutions e.g. PostgreSQL, Geoserver, MapServer, OpenLayers
- Working knowledge of developing restful web services and Application Programming Interfaces (APIs)
- Experience working in a team environment with github (creating branches, merging branches, cherry picking commits, reverting commits, stashing, squash merging, tagging, etc.)
- Familiarity with test driven development
- Familiarity with best practices in coding and design including enterprise patterns.
- Cultural sensitivity, sound judgment, and strong interest in working in a demanding and intellectually challenging environment, with the organizational ability to handle multiple tasks around ambitious deadlines
- International work experience is a plus
- Ability to identify and promote best practices
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, organizational skills and great attention to detail. Ability to work in collaboration with others on a project team and independently on tasks
- Must be able to work as a leader and member of a team and possess good problem solving skills
- Good learning ability. Action oriented and resilient in a fast-paced environment
- Working knowledge of open Source GIS stack (QGIS, PostGIS and Geoserver), data transformation tools (FME Desktop and/or Kettle) and Commercial GIS stack (ArcInfo, ArcView, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox), ArcSDE, ArcGIS Server
- Strong programming skills using Python
- Working knowledge of carto visualization platform
- Ability to use Source Code Versioning Systems (Git is desired)
- Working knowledge of Agile development tools (JIRA)
The Senior GIS Developer should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Adaptability: Demonstrates a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities
- Focus on Partner/Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients and partners to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organisational effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assesses problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Think Strategically: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization.
- English is the spoken and written language
- Ability to read, analyse, proof and edit documents, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, or government regulations
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from executive and senior managers, employees, the general public and clients/partners
Why work for us?
Life at eHealth Africa means not only working towards saving thousands of lives, but also collaborating with dedicated professionals with a passion for innovative technology. We offer a series of programs that enables them to pursue a career that fulfills their potential. Our team members’ health and well-being is our priority as well as rewarding them for their hard work.